Friday, September 20, 2013

Buffalo Stampede

Buffalo Stampede by Zane Grey
My father was a huge Zane Grey fan, but I don't believe I'd ever actually read one of his books. He'd certainly written enough of them -- at least 90, including those that were published posthumously. At least 110 movies have been made, based on his novels.

Buffalo Stampede was first published as a 12-part serial in Ladies Home Journal in 1924 and 1925. It's original title was The Thundering Herd (which, actually, I like much better.) It surprised me that the book was originally aimed at a female audience.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed this book. The characters are a little thin, I think, but I got completely got caught up in the excitement of the buffalo hunt. Zane's strength, in this book at least, is that he really makes you feel just what it was like to be there, in an era that is long gone, hunting an animal that will never dominate the plains again.

No comments:

Post a Comment